NCL Restaurant Week - George's Great British Kitchen

16 August 2017

Last week was Newcastle Restaurant Week which is an event where over hundreds of restaurants across the city get involved and have low price set menu's for everyone to enjoy. It gives you a chance to try the finest restaurants Newcastle has to offer, which would be usually on the pricy side or visit your favourite place for cheaper. Most restaurants do 2 courses for £10 or 3 for £15.

George and I decided to try George's Great British Kitchen which is located in Eldon Square's new food hall, on the ground floor. If you love your proper, traditional British dishes then this is the restaurant for you.

The decor is so fun as the whole restaurant is decorated to make you feel like you are at the seaside. You can even sit and eat your food in a little beach hut, which all have names of coastal towns in the North East. They have stuck to the seaside theme so much the menu looks like a newspaper. It is such a unique place!

The first thing I did when we sat down was look at the cocktail menu. To be honest I nearly died at the price of the drinks. The cheapest cocktail was £7 while the majority are as much as £8.50. I think any drink over £8 is a bit steep and personally I wouldn't pay that much for a cocktail. At this point I was thinking 'sack this I'll get a pint' but then I saw that they did 2 cocktails for £8 (between 2pm and 8pm) and I was sold. I got the Fab cocktail which is inspired by the popular ice lolly. All that the menu said was that there was vodka in it so I have no idea what else was in there but it was very nice. It even had sprinkles.



There was a 3 item set menu and George and I went for exactly the same meals. For starters we ordered George's fish fingers. These were very posh fish fingers. They came on a bed of salad with tartar sauce drizzled over the top and a pot of ketchup on the side. They were SO good.


For our mains we ordered 'The proper dirty burger'. When I read this on the menu I just imagined a massive burger filled with cheese, tomatoes and onions inside a massive bun. Exactly what I wanted. I hadn't had a burger for so long so I was quite excited. The burger came and it was exactly what the menu described; it was HUGE. There was so much in the burger that I had to give up with the bun as there way no way I could eat it all. It came with a shovel load (literally) of proper chip shop chips. 



I would definitely recommend this restaurant if you love British food and big portions! It is also so quirky and unique inside, I love it! The staff are also really attentive even when it was extremely busy. If I am being completely honest I wouldn't have paid the normal price for the burger (which was around £14!!! For a burger!?!?) but getting it for £5 was a nice bargain. I had a look at the normal menu and there were so many other yummy options which I really want to try. I definitely want to go back and try the halloumi skewers and calamari. 

If you want to find out more about Newcastle Restaurant Week then visit the Get Into Newcastle website. Restaurant week is back in January and I recommend it to anyone! In the mean time you can find some fantastic food and drinks offers for a wide range of restaurants and bars in Newcastle on the Get Into Newcastle website. To get email updates about when the event begins go to the website and sign up - you won't regret it!

Thanks for reading,
Georgia May x




No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all comments and suggestions!

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS